You are here
- Home >
- W. Gary Allread, PhD, CPE
W. Gary Allread, PhD, CPE
- Program Director, Integrated Systems Engineering
- Program Director, SRI-Ergo
1971 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Dr. Gary Allread is the Program Director for the Ergonomics Division of the Spine Research Institute (SRI-Ergo), where he is responsible for developing and coordinating activities for the Institute within the College of Engineering and the University as well as with off-site industries and organizations. He also manages and conducts applied ergonomics research and educational programs and projects focusing on the reduction of musculoskeletal disorders in industrial and office workplaces. Dr. Allread has authored peer-reviewed research articles on various ergonomics topics, including risk factors from lifting and materials handling, interventions to reduce low-back injuries, and the influence of one’s personality on musculoskeletal disorder development. He received his PhD in Ergonomics & Biomechanics in 2000 from The Ohio State University and is also a Certified Professional Ergonomist.
- Wang, X.; Bigelow, S.; Seagren, K.E.; Preddie, A.K. et al., 2018, "Re-thinking floor mat design from an ergonomics perspective: Can a two-part mat system reduce biomechanical loads during normal mat handling tasks?." Appl Ergon 72, 17-24 - 17-24.
- Lavender, S.A.; Nagavarapu, S.; Allread, W.G., 2017, "An electromyographic and kinematic comparison between an extendable conveyor system and an articulating belt conveyor used for truck loading and unloading tasks.." Appl Ergon 58, 398-404 - 398-404.
- Lavender, S.A.; Mehta, J.P.; Allread, W.G., 2013, "Comparisons of tibial accelerations when walking on a wood composite vs. a concrete mezzanine surface.." Appl Ergon 44, no. 5, 824-827 - 824-827.
- Ferguson, S.A.; Marras, W.S.; Gary Allread, W.; Knapik, G.G. et al., 2011, "Musculoskeletal disorder risk as a function of vehicle rotation angle during assembly tasks.." Appl Ergon 42, no. 5, 699-709 - 699-709.
- Youngquist, S.T.; Niemann, J.T.; Allread, W.G.; Heyming, T. et al., 2010, "Neurologically intact survival in a porcine model of cardiac arrest: manual cardiopulmonary resuscitation vs. LifeBelt cardiopulmonary resuscitation.." Prehosp Emerg Care 14, no. 3, 324-328 - 324-328.
- Ferguson, S.A.; Marras, W.S.; Allread, W.G.; Knapik, G.G. et al., 2009, "Musculoskeletal disorder risk associated with auto rotation angle during an assembly task." Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 2, 874-878 - 874-878.
- Allread, W.G.; Waters, T.R., 2007, "Interventions to reduce low-back injury risk among youth who perform feed handling and scooping tasks on farms.." J Agric Saf Health 13, no. 4, 375-393 - 375-393.
- Allread, W.G.; Wilkins, J.R.; Waters, T.R.; Marras, W.S., 2004, "Physical demands and low-back injury risk among children and adolescents working on farms.." J Agric Saf Health 10, no. 4, 257-274 - 257-274.
- Allread,WG; Wilkins,JR; Waters,TR; Marras,WS, 2004, "Physical demands and low-back injury risk among children and adolescents working on farms.." Journal of agricultural safety and health 10, no. 4, 257-274 - 257-274.
- Allread, W.G., 2004, "Measuring adjustability's benefits.." Occup Health Saf 73, no. 4, 54-84 - 54-84.
- Marras, W.S.; Davis, K.G.; Heaney, C.A.; Maronitis, A.B. et al., 2000, "The influence of psychosocial stress, gender, and personality on mechanical loading of the lumbar spine.." Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25, no. 23, 3045-3054 - 3045-3054.
- Allread, W.G.; Marras, W.S.; Burr, D.L., 2000, "Measuring trunk motions in industry: variability due to task factors, individual differences, and the amount of data collected.." Ergonomics 43, no. 6, 691-701 - 691-701.
- Marras, W.S.; Allread, W.G.; Burr, D.L.; Fathallah, F.A., 2000, "Prospective validation of a low-back disorder risk model and assessment of ergonomic interventions associated with manual materials handling tasks.." Ergonomics 43, no. 11, 1866-1886 - 1866-1886.
- Marras, W.S.; Granata, K.P.; Davis, K.G.; Allread, W.G. et al., 1999, "Effects of box features on spine loading during warehouse order selecting.." Ergonomics 42, no. 7, 980-996 - 980-996.
- Allread, W.G.; Marras, W.S.; Fathallah, F.A., 1998, "The relationship between occupational musculoskeletal discomfort and workplace, personal, and trunk kinematic factors." PROCEEDINGS OF THE HUMAN FACTORS AND ERGONOMICS SOCIETY 42ND ANNUAL MEETING, VOLS 1 AND 2 896-900 - 896-900.
- Marras, W.S.; Granata, K.P.; Davis, K.G.; Allread, W.G. et al., 1997, "Spine loading and probability of low back disorder risk as a function of box location on a pallet." Human Factors and Ergonomics In Manufacturing 7, no. 4, 323-336 - 323-336.
- Allread, W.G.; Marras, W.S.; Parnianpour, M., 1996, "Trunk kinematics of one-handed lifting, and the effects of asymmetry and load weight.." Ergonomics 39, no. 2, 322-334 - 322-334.
- Allread, W.G.; Marras, W.S.; Granata, K.P.; Davis, K.G. et al., 1996, "The effects of box differences and employee job experience on trunk kinetics & low back injury risk during depalletizing operations." PROCEEDINGS OF THE HUMAN FACTORS AND ERGONOMICS SOCIETY - 40TH ANNUAL MEETING, VOLS 1 AND 2 651-655 - 651-655.
- Marras, W.S.; Granata, K.P.; Davis, K.G.; Allread, W.G. et al., 1996, "The effects of box weight, size, and handle coupling on spine loading during depalletizing operations." PROCEEDINGS OF THE HUMAN FACTORS AND ERGONOMICS SOCIETY - 40TH ANNUAL MEETING, VOLS 1 AND 2 646-650 - 646-650.
- LEHMAN, K.R.; ALLREAD, W.G.; WRIGHT, P.L.; MARRAS, W.S., 1993, "QUANTIFICATION OF HAND GRIP FORCE UNDER DYNAMIC CONDITIONS." DESIGNING FOR DIVERSITY, VOLS 1 AND 2 715-719 - 715-719.
- ALLREAD, W.G., 1993, "DYNAMICS OF TRUNK PERFORMANCE DURING ONE-HANDED LIFTING." DESIGNING FOR DIVERSITY, VOLS 1 AND 2 659-663 - 659-663.
- Marras, W.S.; Lavender, S.A.; Leurgans, S.E.; Rajulu, S.L. et al., 1992, "Industrial quantification of occupationally-related low back disorder risk factors." Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 1, 757-760 - 757-760.
Papers in Proceedings
- Fox, R.R.; Maynard, W.S.; Kapellusch, J.M.; Allread, W.G. et al. "Panel discussion in honor of Dr Tom Waters the NIOSH Lifting Equation - Part I: A review of its validation and implications for interpretation." (1 2016).
- Allread, W.G. "A study of the relationship between personality and risk factors for musculoskeletal disorders." (12 2000).
- Marras, W.S.; Allread, W.G.; Burr, D.L.; Fathallah, F.A. "Validation of a low-back disorder risk model in a prospective study of ergonomic interventions into manual materials handling jobs." (12 2000).